Long Distance Junkies...these are their stories

Patrick Perrier: The new face of Illinois

1 comment


     
      The races and pasta parties are just around the corner, for top returner Patrick Perrier (O'fallon H.S, Illinois) that means finishing things up on a good note. Back from last year's state cross country meet (3rd) , and 3200 (3rd) at the IHSA state meet, he's the predicted winner for this year's cross country state meet. O'fallon has been knocking on the door for several years and it seems like the door is finally open, they're the favorites win it all at state. Their leader, Patrick, a 2x IHSA State qualifier in the 1600 and 3200, a Foot locker Qualifier(19th), just wrapped up his junior year with some impressive PRs. With the season about a month away and his mentor, Alex Riba gone, he's looking forward to taking over the spot left for him and make some noise this coming up senior year.

  Illinois State Championships 11 - 13 - 2012 

1. Jack Keelan, Chicago (St. Ignatius College Prep)   14:05
2. Quentin Shaffer, Mt. Prospect (Prospect)               14:14
3. Patrick Perrier, O'Fallon (H.S.)                          14:15
4. Alex Riba, O'Fallon (H.S.)                                     14:15
5. Billy Bund, Lake Forest (H.S.)                               14:17
6. Scott Milling, Elmhurst (York)                                14:21
7. Jesse Reiser, McHenry                                           14:33                             
8. Zack Smith, Downers Grove (North)                      14:33
9. Steven Salvano, Buffalo Grove                                14:37
10. Micah Beller, Skokie (Niles North)                       14:38


Q - so why and when did you start running?

A - I started running my freshman year during track season, and it was all because I had gone to my school's summer cross camp to stay in shape on the days that I didn't have soccer practice. The seniors on the team tried to get me to run cross that fall but I still loved soccer so much that I didn't give it up and I played varsity soccer, but they inspired me so much during the track season that I was breaking freshman records and running at state. I quit soccer and my running career just took off.


Q - Very similar to the beginning of my high school career. How was your cross country and track season overall this year? Did you reach your goals?

A - Yeah, my cross country season exceeded all of my expectations. I wanted to run 14:20 for 3 miles and place top 5 at the state meet but I went 14:15 and got third. I also wanted to qualify for foot locker and I did. I found myself in the top half of the best runners in the country by placing 19th. My track season fell a little flat late with a knee injury but I still pr'd big in the mile and 3200 by running 4:12 and 9:03 respectively. I got third at state in the 3200 meter to match my cross country accolades and I also came back and medaled in the 1600 with less than an hour rest. So yeah, overall the year was a huge success.


- His PRs, from Milesplit.com




Q - How much help was it having Alex Riba around?


- It was a huge help in cross country because he is constantly right there by your side in workouts. I wish he was there a little more during track but injury made his season start late. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to have had a teammate like him for 3 years.

Q - What are you hoping accomplish in the future? "Illinois Cross Country State champion" how does that sound?

A - That is definitely the goal. I am fully aware of the difficult road to it. There are other seniors and some juniors that definitely have the skills to pick me off, but I carry the pressure of being the predicted winner. I want to win though and I am prepared to work my absolute hardest to accomplish it. I also want to get back to foot locker and finish in the top 5 while having a shot to win. I want to be the national champion.



Q - The night before and day of the meet what are you doing to be prepared?

A - I will just watch a movie with my team and relax a little the night before. The day if the race I will be up early to shake out, roll, stretch, eat and plug in my music. The key is to just treat it just like another race. You don't change your preparation just because it is the state meet. You keep your routine the same and take care of business the same way you have all fall.

Q - Any words to the runners out there?

A - Just good luck to all of them this year because I am a big believer in everybody improving to be their best and accomplishing their goals. I will race you hard on the course, but in the end, I am going to congratulate everybody on their accomplishments because everybody will have done everything they could have to prepare.



Seems like Patrick has his toe to the line and is ready get some work done this fall and winter. He's set some good goals that he's capable of achieving. You'll definitely hear more about him soon and i'm looking forward racing him through out the season.


Patrick (In blue, 4th from the left) at the start of the 1600 at sectionals.

1 comment :